Thursday, March 17, 2011

Getting Better

Well, things are getting a little easier with the corn allergy. I am figuring out what we can and can't have. I have learned alot and become an avid label reader. I have been shocked at some foods we now can't eat, and pleasantly surprised by some we can! The main shockers had to be hot dogs and sour cream. Hot dogs are processed enough, I wasn't shocked to find corn syrup in them, but I was shocked that it is the second ingredient in most brands!! We found one brand that is okay, so we can still have summer BBQ's when it finally warms up. Sour cream surprised me. At least they have an all natural sour cream that we can have.

Now the biggest hurdle is situations that I have no control over, like when the teacher gives them animal crackers at school or a kid brings in cookies/cupcakes for a birthday. Pretty much pre-made frosting is off limits, since powdered sugar has corn starch in it and cool whip pretty much is whipped corn syrup. She has had a rough couple days, but that I am wondering if it has something to do with treats being offered at school. I understand that the teacher has her hands full and can only do so much, but it still is hard.

The positive side to all of this is that overall she is feeling tons better! We have gone from getting two out of twelve right on a spelling test, to getting 100%!! Her reading is improving, she comes home and does her homework and seems happy. The tummy aches seem to be gone and other symptoms which I will spare you from having to know about. I still feel like it is to early to know how much corn she can have and how much it is going to help, but I am optimistic that this can finally help her feel good and be successful.

2 comments:

Jen and Eric said...

Sometimes I hate that I'm supposed to be the adult. We should be allowed occasional tantrums.

With Alex I soon realized that others were not as on top of her diet as we were. I just started sending food/treats that she could eat with her. She liked that she had "special" treats.

Jen and Eric said...

Me again. :)

Found this blog the other day and thought you might like it.

freelifeglutenfree.blogspot.com